When we built our house almost 8 yrs ago we used the upgrade allotment from the builder to do the things that could not be changed later. We went with the builder grade finishes that we figured we could change at a later date. So for 7 1/2 yrs we have had cheap carpet, tile that I didn't like, vinyl flooring and laminate countertops. We finally bit the bullet on the downstairs flooring and ripped everything out (except the kitchen vinyl) and replaced it with laminate wood. This began in feb.-it is almost done. :)
The entry before. While the lighting makes it look decent, the tile actually had a orange cast to it that I hated. Ken decided that the tile was the 1st to go.
To try and eliminate dust everywhere Ken built a plastic enclosure around the tiled area and then started on the removal process. The idea was great, but the fine white dust was everywhere.
Out came all the carpet in the dining area. Each day became the obstacle course with furniture being rearranged.
The before on the living room, hall and office with carpet
The office with the carpet gone
This "easy" click and lock flooring became much more involved that we originally thought. 1st the slab had a lot of high/low spots so Ken used self-leveling to even some of that out. And thankfully Ken is Mr. perfectionist and got all the angles right.
The new flooring heading into the living room
The dining area all done, including the new baseboard.
Working on the last part of the living room. The master at work.
The living room before
The living room after. Of course when you change the flooring it makes everything else need a update. Not really, but while we loved the leather we needed something lighter. We decided to try fabric and see how it holds up. We are still looking for lamps and a area rug. Family prayer is a bit rough on the knees on the wood. Once I get all the finishing details done I'll post a final pic. That building construction degree of Ken's has really paid off. Just a side note, Ken also redid the fireplace last year.