Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MRSA

The past 3 weeks have been very overwhelming medically and emotionally. The end of July my father contracted MRSA. This is Methicillin resistant staphylococcus areus. It is a staph infection. Last summer Ken had gotten it on his finger and was in the hospital for a week. He also had intravaeous antibiotics for 4 weeks. It was mostly a big inconvenience for us. My dad's was a whole other story. He contracted it through a sore on his nose. The infection quickly spread and did not respond to the initial antibiotics. The toxins spread in his body and started to attack major organs. I won't share all the medical details but it has been a very scary experience and we're still working on getting my dad home from the hospital. I am so grateful that two of my sister's are nurses and can translate medical terms so I can understand. I am grateful for the power of the Priesthood and know that through blessings and lots of faith and prayers that my dad is recovering.

This is my public service announcement-If you have a bump or rash that is questionable and looks infected, get to the Dr. and make them check it for MRSA. Don't dismiss the symptoms and don't let the Dr. dismiss your concerns. It could make a huge difference.

No comments: