Monday, February 8, 2010

Girl Scout training

I have spent many hours devoted to Boy Scouts, in training, paperwork and encouragement. I have loved being a part of this aspect of my boy's lives. I have not gotten to participate in some of the fun camping part-since I'm the mom. Both the girls are involved in Girl Scouts and I have tried to be involved with their activities as well. Paige's troop has been very active with camping and has gone at least a couple of times a year. Lexi's not so much. There isn't anyone trained to be the camping leader so I decided to step up and get the necessary training. We had a 3 hr in town training and then a weekend hands-on training. There were women from all over Houston and we were divided into patrols. Ours was the Bluebird patrol. We had to learn the "Girl Scout way" of doing things and then use what we were taught. It's given me a greater appreciation in what leaders have to do to prepare the girls and very grateful that when we go camping it's not being watched and graded. I passed and am now camp trained.

We had to make a wood fire using a A-frame base then teepee design. Me with my fire.



The bluebird patrol. We were from all over and still managed to have things organized. They were a great bunch of women

We had to have a "buddy" for the day to do kapers and watch out for each other just like the girls do at camp. Mine was Sheri and we were a great team. We had fire duty for dinner

The glowing charcoal chimneys ready for the foil pouch dinners.



Our silver turtle dinners-italian chicken with veggies and cherry chocolate cobbler in the dutch oven. Yum!!!


1 comment:

Kirchner Family said...

That sounds like so much fun!