Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hiking the "Y"

I lived in Provo from 9/84-12/90 part of the time as a single student at BYU and part as a married student/wife/mother. I have been all over the area, skiing, hiking, picnicing but I never hiked to Y mountain while I lived in Provo. Suzanne suggested we do that while we were there and I was ready!!! Better late than never, right. It would be she and I and six of our children. Including Jared, who we carried. Everyone had a backpack and water and we headed out. The kids were troopers, the little ones never complaining. I can't say the same for my girls. Lexi told us she is a "city girl" not used to this hiking thing. The bigger problem is she lives in the flatlands and mountains are a rare phenomenon. The highest altitude in Houston is the overpasses.


Y mountain from the bottom

The beginning of the area. This is at the entrance to the parking lot.

A map of the trail awaiting us. We hike to the top of the "Y", a longer hike than to the bottom. We were going for the whole experience.

Ready to hit the trail


Suzanne and her kids ready to get started.

We made it!!! We relaxed for a bit and had a snack before heading back down.


I had to have a picture to prove I had done it also.


A view of BYU campus and Provo from the top. Spectacular. That's Utah lake in the background. I miss the mountains and all the beauty of them. I love our home and friends in Houston but there will always be a special place in my heart for Provo. Lots of great memories here.



No comments: